Give me magic, gadgets, monsters, zombies, everything that seems impossible, and throw in some tough chicks with swords. That's the stuff.

Sunday, June 9, 2013

Review: Tin Swift

Tin Swift (Age of Steam #2) by Devon Monk

The continuing adventures of Cedar Hunt, a man cursed to hunt the Strange, beings who prey on humans in this alternate late 1800s America, his brother Wil, also cursed, Mae Lindstrom, a witch being driven insane by her coven, Rose Small, a young woman eager for adventure with an eye for glim, and the Madder brothers, three eccentric men who are more than they appear and who have made a deal with Cedar. We also have some new characters, most notably Hink Cage, the captain of the titular airship. Of course, I can't forget the horrific villains. 

We have a journey to take Mae to her coven interrupted by Strange happenings, a dangerous injury, old enemies and new allies. 

I liked it by the end. It took me about 100 pages to get into it. It did help to read the short Hang Fire first. I was so used to our main cast of characters that it threw me off a bit when Hink was brought into the mix. The pacing is different than book 1 and the middle part has quite a bit of romance with not one but two pairings. 

This one felt like a middle book. I think there is some really good setup for book 3, with some new allies and a reorganization of the group. 

1 comment:

  1. I know that middle book syndrome. Hmm, is book 3 out yet? I do want to read these one day, though. :) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete