Give me magic, gadgets, monsters, zombies, everything that seems impossible, and throw in some tough chicks with swords. That's the stuff.

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Review: Grounds to Kill

Grounds to Kill by Wendy Roberts

This hit me as more of a cozy-ish mystery with a touch of the paranormal.

Jen is a barista and she's just found out that her boyfriend was cheating on her. She discovered this when her spirit guide told her through automatic writing (the paranormal bit). Then the other woman is murdered and the cops think they have a likely suspect: Jen;s dad, a schizophrenic homeless man who has been hanging out near Jen's coffee shop.

Of course, this means some amateur sleuthing with her two best friends, some help and maybe more from a concerned co-worker, and trying to figure out how to use her "gift" to keep her dad, and herself, out of jail.

This isn't my usual read. There wasn't a whole lot of action. Jen's love life is also a bit messy. However, I really enjoyed it. It was a nice diversion, a quick read, and although I already knew whodunnit, I still was happy after finishing.

If you prefer the police procedurals or need some heavy romance, you might not be so happy. This is a Carina book, but has considerable less steam than other titles I've read. At the same time, it was kind of nice that Jen didn't jump right into another relationship with all that was going on.

I'll keep an eye out for more from Roberts.

[received an ARC to review]

No comments:

Post a Comment