Give me magic, gadgets, monsters, zombies, everything that seems impossible, and throw in some tough chicks with swords. That's the stuff.

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

A Book Pile Update

I thought I'd give a quick rundown on what I've read, what I'm reading and what's next on my plate.

Read (and working on the reviews):

In a Fix by Linda Grimes: Finished ARC. Review to be posted by release date; 9/4/12

Hex Appeal edited by PN Elrod: I really liked this antho. It has an Ilona Andrews story (WIN!) but I also liked all of the other stories.

Nightshifted (Edie Spence 1) by Cassie Alexander: This one has some head-banging moments. There's some interesting bits though, too.

Heart of Brass (Clockwork Agents 1) by Kate Cross: I liked the romance. Spies, betrayals, amnesiac heroes! For 7 years, the heroine's husband has been missing, presumed dead. I get why the heroine never moved on, but a part of me wishes she had. Still, it worked.

Hexed Anthology: 4 novellas. The best one is Ilona Andrews Magic Dreams (that you can get individually as an eBook now)

No Turning Back (Kathleen Turner #1) by Tiffany Snow: The story moves, but by the end, the heroine 's constant sobbing got to be a bit much. I'm still curious about it, but there is a mighty love triangle and I'm not sure how long I could take that.

Dust Girl (American Fairy Trilogy 1) by Sarah Zettel: I steamed through this one. A A YA fairytale set in Depression-era US. I really want the next one.

Reading:

Trance (MetaWars #1) by Kelly Meding: This is not what I expected and I'm very scared for the characters. More intense than a lot of set the stage books. Body count is high, but not numbingly so.

God Save the Queen (Immortal Empire #1) by Kate Locke: Very interesting. I'm not sure where the love interest has come from, though.

Mockingbird (Miriam Black #2) by Chuck Wendig: Reading ARC. I'm very glad that Miriam hasn't changed too much. Another author where I'm not sure what is going to happen, who is going to bite it. Lots of tension. Just strapping myself in for another "holy-shit-that-didn't-just-happen-oh-yes-it-did" ride.

Something Strange and Deadly by Susan Dennard: Pretty good YA with a steampunkish feel. This has some unexpected bits.

The Broken Lands by Kate Milford: Reading ARC. An MG read that is so, so good. If you like fantasy, I suggest you get your hands on The Boneshaker first, then get ready for this one.

To Read:

Seven Wonders by Adam Christopher

The Corpse-Rat King by Lee Battersby

Kiss of Frost (Mythos Academy 2) by Jennifer Estep

Tin Swift (Age of Steam 2) by Devon Monk

Poltergeeks by Sean Cummings

Sins of the Son (Grigori 2) by Linda Poitevin

Bait Dog by Chuck Wendig

All the Paths of Shadow by Frank Tuttle

And many, many more....


No comments:

Post a Comment