Give me magic, gadgets, monsters, zombies, everything that seems impossible, and throw in some tough chicks with swords. That's the stuff.

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Update...

Mind Games Re-Read

I need to re-read books more often. This isn't the first time that I've enjoyed a book more on the second try (the same was true for Interview With a Vampire and Discord's Apple), but so often I'm overloaded with all of the new shiny, pretty books, that I don't have the time to re-read. I'm going to start making time, though.

My favorite part is getting to experience those little touches that you might not recall months down the line but they make the story so much more enjoyable while you're in it.


Thoughts at the halfway mark - still love the world building and the side characters. I feel for Justine, but she's like that friend you can see making the wrong choices but you know they won't listen to you, so you just have to watch the fallout. And Packard - he is a very complicated character. I like him more this time than the first time I read it. Not that I'm saying he's perfect - I like him because I still don't know if I really want him to win or not. I'm on the fence, and it keeps me glued to the pages.

NaNo

It's November, and for many folks that means  it's NaNoWriMo time. That's National Novel Writing Month (if you're wondering what the hell I was just talking about), and the goal is to write a 50K word novel in November. Some people love it, some hate it. I say, if you have fun with it and it works for you, booyah!

This year I've had a lot of fun (and gained some kickass inspiration) from Chuck Wendig's Terrible Minds blog. This particular post has "the Inkslinger’s Invocation" - for when you absolutely must make those words your bitches, and say F-Off to the doubts and distractions. If you need more writerly inspiration, his book 500 Ways to Be a Better Writer is 99 cents at Amazon and B&N. Not sure how long the 99 cent deal will last.

No comments:

Post a Comment