Give me magic, gadgets, monsters, zombies, everything that seems impossible, and throw in some tough chicks with swords. That's the stuff.

Monday, September 19, 2011

Homemade Marshmallows

So yesterday the kiddos and I made our own marshmallows. It was the first time I'd tried them, but it ended up being easier than I thought it would be. The hardest part was finding potato starch (3 stores until I finally found it). Just call me Martha Stewart - if the domestic one was into Ninja marshmallows.

Last Christmas I got the Ninjabreadmen Cookie Cutters - the kids love them, but I think I love them more. So of course, we had to make Ninja marshmallows. One has a little battle damage (to be expected when a three year old wields the cookie cutter) but they turned out pretty well. They taste like store bought ones, just fresher.



Next time I will try the chocolate marshmallow recipe I found in Cooking Light. We were also thinking it would be fun to put them on a stick and dip them in chocolate. Maybe add some sprinkles, sea salt, caramel, other toppings.

I got the marshmallow recipe from Bon Appetit magazine: http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/2008/07/homemade_marshmallows

Like the Ninjas? The cookie cutters can be found at ThinkGeek and Amazon

5 comments:

  1. I am having trouble figuring out why I would want to make marshmellows..but I guess that is because I don't like them. Now, ninja ones...those seem like I could find a use for them because EVERYONE needs ninjas in their life. I do.

    I wonder if you have to use potato starch. Why not corn or rice starch? They're all a little different though. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those little cookie cutters. Other people have gingerbread boys and girls, snowmen and santas. We have cookie ninja battles. Merry times indeed. :)

    I'm not sure why the potato starch. I just followed the recipe as-is since it was my first time making them. And now I have a box of potato starch, so I'll probably just keep using that the next time we make them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, Ninja Cookies! I have 4 boys, they will absolutely love that. Thanks for sharing these.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can also use the starch in place of corn starch if you need it (thickening agent.)

    I had to look up all those starches for a makeup recipe I was doing one time. It was really interesting to find the different starches used by different cultures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. love homemade marshmallows-thankfully have friend that makes 'em. I need to get those ninja men for gingerbread ninja cookies :)

    ReplyDelete