Give me magic, gadgets, monsters, zombies, everything that seems impossible, and throw in some tough chicks with swords. That's the stuff.

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Currently Reading...

I usually read a few books at once. Sometimes I want something dark, sometimes I'm in a lighter mood. I might feel nostalgic and read a kid's book, or a romance if I absolutely must have that happily ever after. Now that I've caught up on some things on my to do list, I'm also catching up on my reading. I've finished quite a few books this week, and started some new ones too. 

Here's what's on my shelf now:

Dead Iron by Devon Monk: Magical Western Steampunk adventure. I'm about halfway through it and really enjoying this one.

Brightest Kind of Darkness by PT Michelle: YA paranormal romance. I like this one a lot. Sweet and the hero isn't a jerk to the heroine (I'm a little tired of the teen boys being asshats).

Uncommon Criminals by Ally Carter: I loved book 1 and this one is starting out well.

Feed by Mira Grant: Awesome zombie book. I even have an autographed copy of this one (with a drawing of a chainsaw - fantastic!)

Who Fears Death by Nnedi Okorafor: This one looks like it will be a good one, but the subject matter is very dark, so I will likely start and stop it many times before I finish. Set in Africa with a young woman who is the child of rape. I'd barely started the book and I wanted to cry.

The Hidden Goddess by MK Hobson: I loved book 1 and I have a feeling book 2 will be just as much fun.

Embassytown by China Mieville: It's taking me a little bit to get into this one. I've never read Mieville before, but heard that the books can be challenging.

This Side of the Grave by Jeaniene Frost: I really liked the beginning of this one, then realized that I should have read the 2 spin offs first (not that you have to to understand the story, I just found I wanted to read them first). So this one is on hold for now.

Hexed by Kevin Hearne: Just got this one. Book 2 in Iron Druid series. Can't wait for more Atticus and Oberon!

New Atlantis: Musicians Battle for the Survival of New Orleans by John Swenson: Just getting into this one. I don't usually read non-fiction, but this book called to me. The beginning is an education into the NO music scene, so sometimes I'm in info overload, but then you get into the gut wrenching loss.

I will undoubtedly be adding more books to the list before the week is out, but that's what it looks like today. Hope you are all finding some good reads. If there's something you think I should be reading, let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment