Give me magic, gadgets, monsters, zombies, everything that seems impossible, and throw in some tough chicks with swords. That's the stuff.

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Recent Reads

I admit it - I read about 3-4 books at once. I see a new book and it's "Oooh! Shiny, pretty!" So sometimes it takes a little while to finish, but I usually enjoy it. No matter my mood, I can find something to read that fits it. Here's some of my recent reads (links go to Goodreads):

Song of Scarabaeus by Sara Creasy

This was a good read. Not what I was expecting (I was expecting a romance as I'd heard it was a sci fi romance), but that's not a bad thing. It reminded me of some of my favorite UF series, but with space travel, tech gadgets and genetic mutations instead of vamps and witches. There were some romance-y bits, but if you are looking for steam then you will be disappointed.

I liked the main characters (and Cat is a very intriguing secondary character), but there were so many (almost) nameless secondary/tertiary characters that I got some of them confused. It's also not done - I need to get the next book! Great start to series


I recently bought the complete Dante Valentine series. Book 1 starts with Dante Valentine, a powerful Necromancer and bounty hunter on the side, who gets a offer she can't refuse from the Prince of Hell himself - although in this future world, Hell and demons aren't exactly the Christian brimstone type, although they aren't altruistic either. We meet Dante's friends, enemies, a former lover with unresolved issues, and did I mention she is tracking a serial-killer demon? Gritty, cool world and magic system. Lots and lots of action. Really good starting point for the series. I'm glad I got all of the books, so I don't have to wait too long before I can get to the next one. I'm already kicking myself for waiting so long to start this one.

Shift by Jeri Smith-Ready

Jeri Smith-Ready does love triangles right. Yeah, it's a little high on the angst scale, but it's to be expected given the subject matter. This is book 2 in a trilogy (I'll try not to be SPOILERY, but if you are waiting to read book 1, then maybe you should stop here.).

To catch you up a little, everyone Aura's age and younger can see ghosts. This becomes quite personal for her when Logan, her boyfriend, ODs, but he hasn't crossed over, so she finds herself torn between moving on and keeping a slim hold on her love. She's also trying to figure out why the "shift" (that's whatever event caused the young to see ghosts) occurred, and what her mother had to do with it. And she meets Zach, a very handsome Scottish boy who is looking for answers too (cue love triangle). Then everything goes wrong and Logan becomes a shade - a dangerous ghost that has lost himself.

Back to this installment: For 2/3 of the book, it reads more like a YA romance with some ghostly bits. Some very interesting things happen with Logan (ha - understatement!), but a lot of it has to do with Aura trying to salvage relationships. The last third, though, WHEW! There are some BIG revelations here. Can't wait to see how this is going to be worked out. When is Shine out, again?

No comments:

Post a Comment